When we share responsibility for common goals, we can achieve great things. Pro Action has a strong track record for engaging in meaningful partnerships to build the community we envision. Whether as a leader or a participant, Pro Action works to actively integrate services within the agency and with external partners in order to produce optimal benefits for and with our customers and the community.
Empowering Families for Financial Stability (EFFS)
This integrated, comprehensive service uses an asset-based approach to support participants as they set and achieve financial goals and take steps toward financial stability. The service is composed of three programs delivered in partnership with internal departments and external agencies. Through CA$H, families maximize income. Through Assets for Independence (AFI), families save and build income-producing capacity (by achieving educational goals), acquire assets (by purchasing their first home), or do both (by opening their own business.) Through the Wealth Health Skills (WHS) curriculum, participants build knowledge of how to set and achieve financial goals, no matter their income level or personal circumstances.
Kids on Track Steuben
Kids on Track Steuben is the Implementation Partnership in Steuben County advancing the goals of United Way of the Southern Tier’s Kids On Track initiative. The overarching goals of Kids On Track include school readiness, grade-level academic performance at 3rd grade, and high school completion. To advance these goals, the Kids On Track Implementation Partnership coordinates the efforts of multiple programs to achieve outcomes in the areas of child development and safe, nurturing environments for children. We have a Community of Practice that meets quarterly to oversee the advancement of our key strategies to achieve these outcomes: universal home visiting, early detection and treatment for delays, creating contexts for healthy child development in all settings where children spend time, developing school-based family resource centers, adopting consistent behavior management approaches across settings, and spreading practices for effective teaching and learning across settings. Work done in Communities of Practice last year have yielded the following results:
- A centralized funnel process for referrals coming to the partnership of home visiting programs operating in the county, and a stronger stream of referrals coming from Guthrie and Noyes (meaning important family support services are being offered and delivered to more families.)
- Development of a centralized database (COMET) to better coordinate referrals and services for children and families in Steuben County
- Widespread use of the New Parent Kit from New York State Parenting Education Partnership among programs serving expectant and new parents
- Coordination of work practices among partners to use and teach to parents consistent approaches to social-emotional development and behavior guidance for children
- A consistent approach to assessing program effectiveness in family –serving programs (Standards of Quality for Family Strengthening and Support)
- Agreement on Strengthening Families / Protective Factors Framework approach to build protective factors with families; agreement on use of the Protective Factors Instrument to assess presence of protective factors in families served
- “Pop-up” Family Resource Centers at WIC clinics and other locations in small towns and neighborhoods
- Greater community awareness of the science of Adverse Childhood Experiences; more widespread use of intentional resilience-building tools in scope of service
- Pro Action’s participation in the Finger Lake’s Resiliency Network’s Trauma-informed Learning Community
Pro Action is the lead agency for Head Start, serving Steuben and Yates Counties. In this role, Pro Action partners with several area school districts to deliver Universal Prekindergarten (UPK). Local school districts receive funding from New York State Department of Education to support UPK services. Local school districts ensure UPK services through a variety of classroom settings, including those operated directly by the school district and those operated by community partners. Pro Action Head Start is one of these community partners. In several local school districts, we provide Universal Prekindergarten programming in center-based classroom settings, five days per week throughout the school calendar year.
Pro Action works in close partnership with the Steuben County Department of Social Services and Office for the Aging to deliver several services including Child Care Subsidy, HEAP, One Stop Career Centers, Senior Nutrition, T.A.S.A., and Wheels for Work.
Pro Action administers the Yates County Office for Aging in close partnership with the County. Through this very successful partnership, Pro Action offers a range of services for seniors including information and referral services, health and wellness services, and in-home services
Getting a job is the main path for most people to provide for their needs and advance toward prosperity. People who have the skills, education, search tools and support needed to get and keep a job are well positioned to improve their financial circumstances. Pro Action partners with Workforce NY to operate three One Stop Career Centers in Bath, Hornell and Corning, as well as Chemung & Schuyler counties. These centers help job seekers develop their skills and match them to job opportunities. To find out more about Workforce NY and all that it has to offer visit http://www.csswfny.com/.