It’s never too early to build the skills for learning and success! One way adults can help babies and children become strong learners is by reading to and with them. Pro Action’s Family Literacy programs give families the tools to get into the habit of reading with their children. Through this program, adults learn the benefits of reading to and bonding with children. Children gain a love of books and reading that helps prepare them to start school with a strong foundation for learning.
Family Literacy Services
- “Read to Me Steuben Program” -Free children’s books and literacy resources to support reading at home provided to families enrolled in local home visiting programs and legally exempt childcare providers.
- “Bright Red Bookshelf Program” 81 Red Bookshelves in public places throughout Steuben and Yates Counties. The red bookshelves provide free gently used children’s books to anyone in the community.
- Community Family Literacy – Special literacy events and book give-away programs in collaboration with community partnersn
- Summer Reading Programs – Held in collaboration with local libraries to reduce the “summer slide” by providing books, literacy resources, and activities.
- Dolly Parton Imagination Library – A book gifting program that mails free, high-quality books to children in Chemung, Steuben, and Yates counties from ages birth – 5, with no income requirements.
607-776-2125 x 2102
Families in partnering programs
Books on Red Bookshelves in public places throughout Steuben and Yates Counties are available for free to everyone.